Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My shih tzu has found an old moth repellent product and chewed

My shih tzu has found an old moth repellent product and chewed throughout the plastic covering to the inside. She seems fine. Should I be worried?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Please give me the brand name of this moth repellent product. 2. So it looks like she did not swallow much of the actual product, just chewed through the covering?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. It's a zensect hanging moth proofer. They were quite old and are actually out of date and don't seem to smell of anything anymore.... If that matters. She chewed through the plastic covering. Inside was a white pad which she chewed very slightly. She didn't chew it apart or swallow any of it by the looks of it.
Hello again and thanks for the quick reply.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Good news, this product contains Transfluthrin 19%, as long as none was actually swallowed then incident should not affect your dog in any way, all you need do is to keep an eye on her just in case but I would very much doubt if any odd symptoms will develop. If this happened within the last half hour it may be wise to flush out her mouth with plenty of luke warm water just as a precaution. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Hello again , Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I should be available online for the next three or four hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes or you would like to talk things over further. Kindest regards, *****