Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 15 month old boxer dog and am thinking of buying a

Customer Question

I have a 15 month old boxer dog and am thinking of buying a raised feeder for him. There is conflicting advice as to whether or not this decreases or increases the risk of bloat
Advice please
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

You are correct that there is a lot of conflicting advise regarding bowl height and the risk/benefit of bloat in the dog. This is because it can be a subtle influence and one of many factors that could lead a dog to bloat. So, its direct effect is still not fully appreciated.

That said, I would note that there was a study in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association back in 2000 that actually found that it was a risk factor that could increase the chance of bloat (alongside fast eating, and having a close dog relative that had a history of the condition). They also found in that study that 20% of large breed dogs that presented with bloat had a raised feed bowl at home. Unfortunately, we cannot say that the bowl height was to blame in those dogs but we'd have to question its value at the very least and its possible role as a risk factor at the most. So, based on the research we have, I would advise being wary using an elevated feeder for Max.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )