Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I gave my collie frontline this morning and he had the same

Customer Question

I gave my collie frontline this morning and he had the same reaction as last time he is very distressed he is still shaking and not responsive to me almost like he is sulking .he is very unhappy is this an allergic reaction ? should I take him to vet?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Freddie and Frontline. I'm so sorry he's doing this and has you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
Frontline Plus has a really great safety record and about the only issue that rarely arises with it is a minor localized skin reaction. Because of that, it's highly likely that this is something else and the timing of it with your Frontline application is coincidental.
It also bears mentioning that the most common reason to see a reaction like this to Frontline occurs when the product isn't really Frontline, but a counterfeit. I'd highly recommend calling Merial with your product package on hand so they can track the serial number. Please also bear in mind that if you didn't purchase this product from a vet, it is not likely to be genuine Frontline which is available only through vets.
As to whether or not you should take Freddie to the vet, I would strongly advise that YES you should. These are not trivial symptoms and I would take them seriously. Regardless of if this is related to the Frontline or something else, you need to check this out.
Additionally, it would be nice to get an actual diagnosis. If you do indeed find out this is something else, then you'll able to feel okay about using Frontline again.
I hope this information helps.
Please let me know if you are not satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may respond by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Just checking in to ask how Freddie is doing today. Any questions after reading over the information I provided so far?