Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 6 year old fairly large

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old fairly large rabbit suffering from muscle and joint pain . There has been a big improvement using 1 aspirin a day ( 2 half tablet doses ) . He still struggles a bit when he`s been lying for a while and I feel there could be further improvement if I use Rhus Tox along side the aspirin ... will this be safe ? If not , is the Rhus tox likely to be more or less efficient than Aspirin . He is still a very happy bunny with not an aggressive thought in his head and I want to keep him happy and content for years to come . Thank you for your time . Ken XXX

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The homeopathic rhus tox is too dilute for toxicity to be a consideration in Kaiser. Its very diluteness is its advantage as it can't be harmful. The question remains, however, if it can be helpful. There are no scholarly studies concerning rhus tox in rabbits.
Aspirin dosed at 10-100 mg/kg orally every 8-12 hours should be far more helpful. A vet can prescribe more potent nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as carprofen dosed at 1-5 mg/kg every 12-24 hours or meloxicam dosed at 0.3-0.5 mg/kg orally daily.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.