Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My poodle has started coughphing this evening 3 times in all

My poodle has started coughphing this evening 3 times in all he seems out of sorts I am not sure if he is overtired
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Is he lethargic?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Has he been around unfamiliar dogs in the last week or so?
5- How much does he weigh?
6- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He usually tired in the evenings. My husband takes him to the park but he keeps him on his lead He is 14lb in weight His gums are normal
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- To make sure I got this right, he has only coughed 3 times, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes sounds a bit like whoophiing cough
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Barbara, coughing can be caused by: Infections, clearing the airway or even a sign of an underlying heart/lung problem. In this case, the fact that it started so quickly he could have an upper respiratory infection.
I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to listen to his heart and lungs. In the meantime you can start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter