Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a reasonably fit Labrador aged 11, she has recently

I have a reasonably fit Labrador bitch aged 11, she has recently been leaving a pinky white discharge from her vulva. We have recently wormed her and she hasn't been spayed so shes still intact. I haven't notice a season so I was wondering what age do they stop. Can you advise me about what I need to do next. She's not over weight eating and drinking well and seems generally normal for her age.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Do you think she is drinking more then usual?
Is she urinating more often?
Passing small or large volumes?
Any straining?
Does the discharge have an odor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi thanks for replying back. I haven't noticed any odour but she has been drinking abit more but I put that down to the heat, as to straining she has been sraining alittle and eating grass. There is no loss of appetite but I have noticed loss of weight on her back end. Its the first time she has let me check her teats and lady bits and I have felt a lump. When she was a pup by her umblical cord she had a small hernia which the vet said wouldn't cause any discomfort so could be left. I am dreading the thought it could be life threatening. Please put my mind at rest. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Liz,

Can you confirm where this lump you just mentioned is? On the teats or vulva?
Or are you referring to her umbilical hernia (which is no worry)?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Liz,

Now I do need to step away for my computer for the night, but I do want to leave my thoughts for your return. If you are able to clarify where the lump you found is located, we can discuss this further when I return but hopefully I can leave some guiding thoughts for you.

First, let me say that female dogs do not have a menopause and therefore should cycle throughout their lives. So, if you have not seen a season recently and especially with this discharge; we need to tread with care. The reason is because pink/white vaginal discharge in the unspayed dog is most often linked to a uterine infection (pyometra). Less commonly it can be related to severe bladder infections and we could see blood tinted mucus with bladder stones, urinary crystal issues, and bladder tumors. So, we do have some serious but potentially treatable concerns here. And I would note that the pyometra and urinary tract infection/inflammation could both cause increased thirst.

With all this in mind, I do think it would be ideal to consider having a check with her vet. They can palpate +/- ultrasound her uterus to see if this a concern for her. If it is, then spaying her would be curative but in mild cases or in dogs that are not healthy enough for surgery (hough likely not a concern here) then long courses of antibiotics can potentially be used. And if a bladder based issue is suspected, ruling out the pyometra +/- checking a urine sample can diagnose those urinary concerns. And depending on the findings of the exam, your vet can advise you on how to treat what is found.

Finally, I did ask for clarification on the location of the mass you mentioned in your second reply since it was unclear where you found this. If it was the hernia, then this won’t be a worry but can be corrected if she did need spaying. Though if this was a mammary mass, then we do also need to get this checked at this stage. This is because while 50% of dog mammary masses will be benign, this also means there is a 50% risk that it could be sinister. And mammary cancer is linked to dogs not being spayed, so this would be a concern we’d want diagnosed as quickly as possible and removed while small if it is something of risk for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for replying back, her lump is between her teats so I will make an appointment asap. Thanks once again.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Liz.

If it is associated with her teat, then it is best to be checked and your plan there is perfect.

Please take care,
Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)