Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My kitten has got a bad cold she had a convenia injection

Customer Question

hi my kitten has got a bad cold she had a convenia injection 11th may and fucithalmic cream for her eyes.she is now not eating very well and her eyes are really sore and she is been sick.what can I do?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did she improve at all with the Convenia?

Did her cold signs settle?

Does she hae discharge from her eyes? What color?

When did she go off her food?

Do you mean she is vomiting now?

Can she keep water down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi she did improve but then yesterday she slept nearly all day and awoke with her eyes stuck together.she went off her food yesterday and has vomited yellow bile.she can keep water down.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Carol,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, GI signs are not something we really see with flu. And if she had been improving and has suddenly developed these signs, I would be concerned that this poor wee lass has contracted a secondary opportunistic GI bug (especially since we'd be less worried aboutgut upset from the antibiotics after their being in her system for such an extended period of time).

Just to note, if her eyes have not really settled with the Fucithalmic, then you may need her vet to dispense an alternative antibiotic ointment to treat her eyes. In the meantime though, I would note that you can flush her eyes with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution) to reduce the discharge and bacterial population there.

Now with her other signs in mind, we do need to tread with care. Cats are not well designed for being off their food, therefore we do need to keep her eating. Since she has nausea, this will be a wee bit difficult. Therefore, the first step here is to settle her stomach. Now you will be limited with your OTC options for a kitten but I wouldnote that you could try her on a low dose of calcium carbonate (60-120 mg every 12 hours). Otherwise, we would need anti-nausea or antacid treatment from her vet. In any case, these ideally should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset stomach.

Further to this, we can find that light/easily digestible diets can reduce nausea and sickness in cats if they do have benign GI upset. Examples would include boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk),meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used here (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.) When offering these, do start with a small amount. If she eats it and keeps it down for >30 minutes, then you can give her a bit more and so on. The advantage of light diets is that they are easier on the stomach so less likely to cause vomiting.

Since GI issues like this can quickly dehydrate a kitten, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check her hydration status to make sure they are not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, since she is wee, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for her . If you are concerned that she is becoming dehydrated, you can try and encourage her to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. Of course, since we have such vomiting, do make sure not to try to syringe feed food or fluids since this can actually make them vomit even more.

Overall, when a young cat has vomiting and GI signs of this nature, there are a range of concerns that would not be related to her flu signs. Therefore, we can try the above for her but may need to have her vet treat with an alternative eye treatment +/- anti-nausea medication by injection to get her back on track and back to normal.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.