Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have mated my 2 year old labrador on day 13 and

hi i have mated my 2 year old labrador bitch on day 13 and 15 of her season, to a pure labrador, 2 days later a collie jumped the gate, and mated her, any advice what i should do, would she be best injected, and mate her again next season.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Your approach here will depend on your faith in the original mating and timing. If she ovulated within the appropriate time frame for his mating, then you may have a litter of Labs here. Of course, if he didn't successfully mate her (either due to timing with ovulation or fertility), then we may have a litter of cross breeds.

So, in regards ***** ***** best choice, it depends on whether you have faith in the original mating and whether you are willing to risk the time, resources, her going through a pregnancy and labor to see if the stud dog was able to mate and impregnate her as we hoped. If you have any doubts in regards ***** ***** timing or the stud's prowess in mating, then you may wish to have her treated to abort the pregnancy and plan for her next season (including keeping her way from the collie). But again it is ideal to make the decision on what to do based on how likely the first mating was to be successful.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when is the best time to inject her, the labrador matings were only slip matings, so not the best.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

In that case, letting this litter go and trying again next season is likely for the best. In regards ***** ***** we tend to wait for the end of oestrus to ensure efficacy but prior to day 20 of suspected pregnancy.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for all the questions, will it make her ill.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

No worries at all, my dear.
I would much rather we discuss any concerns then you be left with any worries. In regards ***** ***** effects of the injection, it can be a stingy injection but if given before day 20, we usually see no issues. That said, we can potentially see a bit of GI upset or lethargy for a few days. After day 20, there is a risk of her having to go through a labor to pass the deceased pups (hence why we do it before that point).

All the best,

Dr. B.