Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 10 year old 35kg dog has a urinary tract infection. We

My 10 year old 35kg dog has a urinary tract infection. We took her to the vet on Saturday morning and was prescribed Baytril 150mg tablets. We were told to give her 2.5tablets twice a day. We've given her 4 doses and she's very listless and has no appetite. Is this dosage correct?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you confirm that she is having 375mg every 12 hours?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes that is correct.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Based on your history, if your lass is having 375mg twice daily, this works out to a 10 mg/kg dose for her at each dosing. This is a bit higher then we'd usually use for canine patients and can cause nausea, vomiting, appetite loss, depression, and wobbliness/lethargy. Therefore, this could be why she has appetite loss and is feeling unwell.

In this case, unless your vet noted a reason for using this high a dose, I would advise dropping down to 5mg/kg (175mg) once daily and contacting your vet as soon as they are open (or you can phone their out of hours vet just now). They can confirm if they had meant to prescribe such a high dose (ie if they had culture results advising it). Still in the meantime this lower dose is fine for her infection and will likely be better tolerated. And just to note, you can give her a 24 hour medication break first to just let her stomach settle.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** consider offering a light diet option for a few days.Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). These will be better tolerated if she is feeling nauseous.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )