Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

The feliway was empty at the time my cat gets stressed very

the feliway was empty at the time my cat gets stressed very easily my sisters introduced him to their new puppy (they live here too) despite my warnings not too until a new feliway has arrived now he is so stressed since yesterday he has been in hiding hes had a drop of milk and food it took me 4 hours before i picked him up to bring him in when i let him out all day he is refusing to come out of hiding places i am too scared he wont come back if he goes outside again he is not even wanting anything i dont think he has drunk water since yesterday i offered it to him but he isnt drinking it there was also a lot of noise from my sister and her friends last night i will be honest i dont think its the puppy hes scared i think its noise but he isnt coming out for me in a peaceful room help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has he had any milk or food since you sent your question?

Is he still stressed and is the stressor (her noise, the pup, all of the people --essentially anything that is a routine change) still actively disturbing him?

Have you restarted his Feliway now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes he came out to me at night i am not sure if he has had water but he has had a bit of milk and this morning breakfast but as soon as my sister bought the puppy down he has hid again i dont want to let him out in case he rans away i am still waiting for a new refill for the feliway i now think it is the puppy
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Jamie,

From your history, it sounds like a lot of stressors bombarding Milo just now. And if he was stressed by the noise and now there is a puppy, all of this can be very upsetting for him. So, we need to get that Feliway perhaps even see if you can get a small refill from the pet store while waiting for this other one, so we can help him faster. And I would note that you are right to keep him indoors, since he could be a flight risk here.

Otherwise, in this situation, the main focus needs to be encouraging him to eat and drink properly. This may mean sitting with him during meal time to help him feel safe. Otherwise, you can tempt him with favorites or light diet options (ie boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food -as long as garlic/onion free). And if we just cannot get a good volume of food into him, we can cheat by using a nutrient dense diet (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, Clinicare liquid diet) or even kitten food so we get more nutrition into him per bite he will take and thus help keep his weight on. Otherwise, we could consider syringe feeding any of those diets (or watered down kitten food) to just keep the nutrition going in, avoid any weight loss or hepatic lipidosis (a health worry when cats aren't eating properly), and keep him going until the Feliway arrives and he starts to cope with this puppy situation.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** him cope with this stress, further to Feliway, you may also want to consider trying him with some alternatives. These can even be used alongside the Feliway. One of these is a diet called Calm (by Royal Canin). This contains a number of supplements that have been found to provide stress relief to cats. As well, there are nutritional supplements like Zylkene and Kalmaid which are over the counter at vets and pet stores can help soothe anxious cats. As well, there is even a Bach's flower remedy for stressed kitties that could be used.

Overall, your lad 's signs tell us that he is very stressed and he is feeling vulnerable. Therefore, we need to consider getting some Feliway now and/or the above de-stressing treatments to help him cope but most importantly we need to take a more aggressive approach to getting nutrition into Milo. So, try tempting, using more nutrient dense foods to offset his reduced appetite, or even syringe feeding food to help prevent him from losing weight, developing hepatic lipidosis (a complication when cats eat poorly), and help him cope with this situation.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.