Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

My nearly 12 year old shihtzu has bad heart so went with inplant

Customer Question

my nearly 12 year old shihtzu has bad heart so went with inplant he has a lump on his anus vet blood tests etc neg no tumour but since inplant its now huge had 5 heads as i wash it everytime he pood now its huge and bleeding what can i do to stop infection and help it to go down
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Hi there vet Andrew here. Sorry to hear Sensei is having problems. I suspect he has a perianal adenoma, which is a benign growth of the anal tissue. I would not recommend surgery for two reasons: firstly, because of his heart condition and secondly, because of the risk of damage to the anal sphincter and subsequent incontinence.
You are already doing the right thing by cleaning him after a bowel movement. Furthermore, I recommend you apply a little Anusol (human haemorrhoid cream) to his anus after you have cleaned it. This will help reduce the inflammation of the growth and also make him more comfortable.
If you still feel he is in distress then I suggest you ask your vet to prescribe an antibiotic/anti-inflammatory cream such as Fuciderm.
I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask further questions if you are unsure.
Vet Andrew