Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My female cat is sneezing a lot, why, should we take her to

My female cat is sneezing a lot, why, should we take her to see our local vet?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about the amount of sneezing that Molly has been doing.
A sneeze simply means that something is irritating her nose. It can be dust, pollens, an irritating, strong smell, increased tearing draining into her nose, a viral, bacterial or fungal infection or a foreign body, a tooth root infection or nasal mass irritating the nasal mucosa.
If this were a one time thing then dust, pollen, a strong smell, or increased tearing would be most likely. If this is a more chronic thing I would be more inclined to think of an infection (fungal, bacterial or viral), a foreign body (blade of grass, a grass awn), a tooth root infection, or mass in her nose.
If she has no, or a little clear, nasal discharge, is eating and drinking normally, and her nose conformation is unchanged (no swelling or bumps) then it may be a viral infection, in which case this should pass on its own.
You could try giving her an amino acid supplement called L-lysine at a dose of 500mg orally twice daily. If this infection is due to Herpes this amino acid interferes with virus replication and will shorten the infection's duration and severity. Good supplements to try are made by the Viralys brand which comes in a powder to add to the food or a tasty gel.
In the meantime using a humidifier in the room she sleeps in most of the time, and/or taking her into the bathroom with you when you run a hot bath or shower to breathe in steam/humid air can help.
If she continues to sneeze the next step would be sedation, dental radiographs to look for bad tooth roots, a nasal scope and skull radiographs to look for a foreign body or mass. It may be helpful to collect samples for bacterial and fungal cultures as well.
But at this point if she seems well otherwise I don't think she needs to be rushed into her veterinarian quite yet.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.