Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat has dislocated his hip/back leg. No fractures of

Customer Question

My cat has dislocated his hip/back leg. No fractures of pelvis. vet has tried manipulating it back in but it just keeps coming back out again, vet has given me option of operation where top of leg is cut off and then after time heals, can take up to a year, or orthopaedic op which costs around 4,000 or put him to sleep

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now when we have a situation where the femoral head just will not sit in the hip socket despite replacement, we do often need to intervene surgically. That said, even if we cannot use state of the art hip replacement techniques, a femoral head ostectomy (FHO) is an acceptable, more economical (usually a few hundred as opposed to thousands), and is a very good alternative to consider for Prince.
While not a surgery for a large dog, cats with their smaller body mass tend to really well with this surgery. As you noted, the surgery involves removing the head of the femur (the ball that should be sitting in his hip socket) and allowing the muscle to scar and create its own faux joint. And while I suppose we could see a delay in their healing and he could be prone to arthritis in this hip when he is older, I tend to see feline patients walk post-operatively on these legs within days and do very well overall. So, this is a very viable option here and would be a much better option then amputating the leg (a potential treatment option here as well) or putting him to sleep over this.
So, I would advise that if you aren't keen on the total hip replacementn that you consider discussing having the FHO technique carried out in this situation. Your vet should also be able to give you an estimate for the cost at this stage (which is likely to be much more manageable then thousands). If you aren't sure your vet is keen on doing this operation, then perhaps consider ringing other local practices to see if they can help and what they'd estimate for the cost. That way you can decide what you wish to do for Prince and where you would like that done.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much, your expertise is so valued at a time like this. Many, many thanks x

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
Best wishes for you both,
Dr. B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Prince has had an operation, the vet has sewes his leg in place to help minimise dislocating again. Had Prince home 1 day and he managed to pull out his stitches. Tokk him back to the vets, they said they would have to put him back to sleep, to clean the wound and re-suture. They did an xray and found that they leg has dislocated again- vet is baffled says he has not known this happen before. Prince was only taking a few tentative steps in his cage..He now has to undergoe the op again tomorrow!

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Goodness,

Wee Prince is being quite the challenge. Still, hopefully his vet can get this addressed for him, but otherwise it would be reasonable to remove the head of the femur to stop this continual dislocation issue for him.

Take care & all the best,
Dr. B.