Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

My lab has had the runs for - this is third day- some blood

My lab has had the runs for - this is third day- some blood in .
He wasn't himself for two days but quite perky today!
He is drinking loads of water
Should I be worried?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 20 month old Black Lab boy Max who has had diarrhoea for three days now, with some fresh blood present. There are a number of possible causes for this diarrhea, including anything from a sudden change in diet, to an infectious issue, intestinal worms or even an internal organ issue. The main worry with Max would be whether he is becoming dehydrated. Thankfully it sounds like he is drinking plenty of water to compensate for the diarrhoea, and continue to encourage him to do this. Hopefully he is still eating well, and it is great to hear he is a little more perky today!

First and foremost, you really need to ensure that Max is completely up to date with his worming treatments. If you haven't done this for a while, be sure to get treated with a reliable all wormer like Drontal or Milbemax. If this diarrhea has continued and hasn't improved within the last 3 days, I do definitely think it would be worth getting a fecal sample off to your Vet. Here he or she can send this away for full analysis including a culture and fecal float to help rule out infectious causes such as salmonella, campylobacter, giardia, coccidia and intestinal worms.

For now you are best feeding Max something really bland. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and cooked white rice is ideal for this type of situation and you can start that from this morning. If the diarrhoea is the same consistency this morning as it was on day one, I would recommend getting a fresh stool sample along to your Vet this morning. Do your best to get a fresh sample in to an icecream container or something similar and take this into your Vet today if you have a chance.

If the diarrhea continues despite a normal fecal sample and a diet change and worming treatment, then I would recommend further investigation which could include a full blood test for starters, followed by an ultrasound of his abdomen to ensure all is ok. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).