Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Could you tell me how quickly bladder stones can come back

Hi could you tell me how quickly bladder stones can come back in a guinea pig once they have been removed
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What stone type did he have?

How long ago was it removed?

What signs are you seeing now?

What diet changes did you make?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

calcium oxlate removed two weeks ago squealing when urinating hunching up changed diet to burgess excel nuggets cut down on veg with high calcium in it

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Karen,

Can you confirm that it is calcium oxalate and not calcium carbonate stones Jaffa had?

What veggies/fruit are you giving now? What hay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it was calcium carbonate veggies cucumber sweetorn romaine lettuce carrots and carrot tops apple brocoli beetroot only small portion meadow hay and timothy hay also dandylions grass and dry grass

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

That makes much more sense, since guinea pig urine pH makes calcium oxalate stones quite uncommon. In any case, your question is actually quite a difficult one because it this is multi-factorial and completely depends on Jaffa, the type of stones present, and his diet.

Now calcium based stones can be quite frustrating in cavies because we do have a huge issue with recurrence. In some cavies, we do see them return quickly, within months post-op. That said, if he has just had surgery weeks ago, then I'd be more concerned that his signs are related to post-operative discomfort or crystal (stone precursor) irritation of the bladder wall.

Therefore, with that in mind, you may want to consider submitting a urine sample to his vet for analysis under the microscope to assess the level of crystals in the urine. As well, do consider speaking to his vet about pain relief (ie Metacam) to reduce inflammation and keep him comfortable.

Otherwise, I would note that your diet approach is perfect. Further tho that, we also need to make sure we can keep his fluid intake up. This is key in these cases as it will help flush crystals from the bladder which will reduce signs and substrate for stone composition. So, we want to make sure he has access to fresh water, those safe veggies and fruit (since they are fluid dense), and even consider offering fresh grass (as long as its pesticide free) as it too will contain lots of fluid and fiber too. And if he isn't a keen drinker, then you may need to flavor his water with a bit of fruit juice and/or syringe fluids to keep him hydrated and flushing any crystals or deposits through.

Finally, you may wish to speak to his vet about use of off-license treatments to reduce his signs. Now while a better choice if it had been a calcium oxalate stone, we can still see Polycitra (Urocit-K) reduce calcium availability in cavy urine. So, it would be more effective with the other stone type but is still worth trying for Jaffa as well.

Overall, bladder stone recurrence is something that varies by cavy. Still, if he had a high load of crystals in his urine and if the diet hasn't had a chance to really take effect, then it is possible for a stone to start to grow at this stage. Still, it is a bit early (and a bit early for it to cause clinical signs); therefore I'd be more concerned that his signs are related to the crystals in the urine causing irritation to the bladder lining. So, it would be best to have a urine sample tested (you can collect this by putting him in a cage with no bedding) +/- having his vet put him on pain relief at this stage.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for the information its been very helpful i would recomend using this service again

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Karen.

All the best to Jaffa and yourself,
Dr. B.
______________________________________________________________________

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)