Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Black spot in twisted stomach. Can this be fatal d

Black spot in twisted stomach. Can this be fatal for the dog?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you mean that your vet found a region of black tissue on the stomach when they were operating to correct the twist?

Did they remove the area?

Did they say how large it was?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It looked like black tissue. They did not remove it. After the operation my dog came home and the next day we brought her back with peritonitis.after the second operation she died

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Georgios,

I am so sorry to hear that your lass developed peritonitis and passed away.

In regards ***** ***** question, black tissue on the stomach is usually a sign that that tissue has died or is necrotic. This happens when the twist cuts off the normal blood flow to the stomach tissue. Generally speaking, if we see a large amount of black tissue, we know their prognosis is grave and will often advocate putting those dogs to sleep on the table. If the tissue is extensive but not severe, then sometimes we will operate on the stomach and remove that tissue (creating a smaller stomach from what is left). But in some cases, if it is very small or in a difficult to remove area, then it may be left. Sometimes it will cause no issue, but in some cases this tissue could break down, allowing the stomach contents to leak into the abdomen (causing peritonitis), and that can be fatal for a dog.

Therefore, in regards ***** ***** question, a black spot of necrotic or dead tissue on the stomach can be fatal for a dog. It does depend how much there is, where it is on the stomach, and whether it could be removed. But it is a possible cause of complications like peritonitis and fatalities in these cases.

Please take care,
Dr. B.