Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

My dog was vomiting yesterday and was wanting to keep cool

Hi my dog was vomiting yesterday and was wanting to keep cool I.e. Laying on patio, his breathing is very erratic now, I can't get in touch with an emergency get. He hasn't eaten at all yesterday, but had plenty of fluids,
Gill
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 8 year old Lhasa Apso Teddy who has had vomiting yesterday, and who's breathing is now quite erratic. As you can probably appreciate, his vomiting could be due to a large number of possible causes including anything from simple gastroenteritis, to a toxicity, to an obstruction in his bowel, or even an internal organ issue or endocrine problem. The main concern right now is Teddy's erratic breathing. Any respiratory issue needs to be treated as an emergency, so I really would encourage you to try the emergency vet again, or perhaps another emergency vet in a nearby town.

If his breathing settles, I would still encourage you ot keep a close eye on your boy this evening. For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As above, the main issue here really is his erratic breathing. Please try the ER vet again, and if you still can't get in touch with them, definitely try another ER vet in your area, or in a neighboring town/city.

Best of luck with Teddy and please let me know how you get on if you get a chance. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I'll keep trying emergency vet
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Good plan Gill.

Best of luck and let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Dr E