Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 2 year old Yorkshire terrier , "Dolly" had her first

My 2 year old Yorkshire terrier bitch, "Dolly" had her first litter of 4 pups only 3days ago and she's looking after the pups perfectly. The only problem is she is cleaning the pups up very well but it is giving her diarrhoea. I think she has a sensitive stomach or the pups poo is too rich for her. When my other Yorkshire had a litter 18 months ago Dolly kept getting in with the pups and trying to help clean them up and that kept giving her diarrhoea then, so I had to keep her away from the pups.
Can I give her something daily to prevent her from getting diarrhoea when cleaning her pups.
Please answer as soon as possible, thank you from Shirey
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If carrying out this natural behaviour is causing her diarrhoea, then we'd be concerned that her gut bacteria are not tolerating the introduction of bacteria from the pup's stool. Therefore, in this case, we'd want to consider supporting the natural GI bacterial microflora of her gut.

In regards ***** ***** we do have a range of canine pro-biotic options on the market. The ones I tend to use for patients are Fortiflora (more info) or Protexin Enterogenic (More Info). Both are available over the counter at most vets, some pet stores, and even online.

As well, since her stool is loose, we could alternatively use Protexin Pro-fiber (more info) This will include the above but also contains Kaolin to slow the diarrhoea. Otherwise, if you were to just use the above, you could also bulk up her stools to reduce diarrhoea by adding a high fiber additive to her diet (ie adding tinned pumpkin, all bran, or 1/2 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil/Benefiber to her food) and/or also treating with Kaolin (More Info/Dose Here).

Overall, Dolly's signs sound suspicious of a GI bacterial microflora imbalance. Therefore, we'd want to soothe her diarrhoea with the above but also support her normal gut bacterial. So, do try the above with her now. But if you find that she doesn't settle, then consider having a stool sample tested to just make sure that the pup's poo isn't a red herring. Because we can sometimes see dogs develop diarrhoea due to immune weakness after having had pups.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )