Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Help me please my dog who is a little pom just stole my left

Help me please my dog who is a little pom just stole my left over dinner full of onions and i am panicking what do i do?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question.
We can induce vomiting to prevent injury to his red blood cells, but the risk of cell damage is related to dose. How much does Charlie weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is only about 14 ibs i think and he ate a ready meal i had left the onions as i don't like them so there were quite few pieces it is making me ill. Should i phone an emergency vet now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not recieved any further responses??

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
It would be best to induce vomiting. You can give 3 teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with a small amount of milk so that he will drink it. Then take him for a brisk walk to mix his stomach contents. He should vomit with in 20 minutes. If he does not, you can repeat the peroxide dose a second time.
Once he vomits the onions, he should be safe.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't as i have no hydrogen i have salt but i don't know how i can force him to drink. Also if i get salt water down and he does not vomit that is bad too. I have phoned the vet

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry! Your question did not get flagged as it should after a response! Salt is NOT something you should induce vomiting with. If you don't have hydrogen peroxide, you must either purchase it from the store or have your vet administer an emetic like apomorphine. I hope your local vet was able to institute treatment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My vet recommended the salt but i never tried it as she said if he does not vomit i will have to get twice the amount of plain water down him too. He is only a little pom and i am on my own so would be too hard to get him to stay still etc. He has had no symptoms at all so far. No vomitting. no diarrohea, his gums are pink and he is eating well and very alert still wanting walks every five minutes. I will keep monitoring him do you think if he is still ok tommorow i can stop worrying?

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
I must recommend getting the peroxide to have on hand for any future emergencies. I hate to disagree with another vet, but I beg you not to try using salt to induce vomiting. That can cause a whopping hypernatremia (elevated sodium) that can cause tremors, seizures or even death.
I think it is unlikely that you will see any problems at all. Although it can take up to 5 days to see the most severe signs, it would take an entire medium sized onion to cause problems in your little guy. Hopefully there wasn't that much left from your meal!
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will do and thank you. The pack says there are 40g of onion in it. Don't know what that equates to but i am sure it would be about a quarter of an onion. Fingers crossed he stays happy and healthy, i have learnt a big lesson xx

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, he would not have a problem until about 95g of onion. He should be safe!