Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat seems to have lost some hair around his ear, the hair

Customer Question

My cat seems to have lost some hair around his ear, the hair has thinned rather than fallen out, any idea what this could be, seems to have worsened in the last few months, is it likely to be dietary / hereditary?
He is an indoor cat who goes outside, supervised (mixes with a couple of other cats) he is fed wet and dry food and has access to fresh running water all the time.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin Can you upload a photo of this area to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Cats do normally have less hair in the preauricular area. This is characterized by sparsely haired skin on the head between the ears and eyes that is not usually noticeable in long-haired cats but is more readily apparent in short-haired cats. No skin lesions are present.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you! Yes, that's the typical preauricular appearance in short-haired cats. No treatment is necessary.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks!

It's my pleasure.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
Please disregard the info request.