Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a dwarf hamster, Maud who is about 1 and a half.

Customer Question

Hi- I have a dwarf hamster, Maud who is about 1 and a half. She has had a lump on her chest for about 4 weeks now- it's a purplish dark mass which has become quite large. She herself, seems absolutely fine, still eating, engaging, coming to see anyone who comes to her cage, going for runs etc, we haven't done anything because she has nt seemed fussed or on pain. However today there is blood in her cage- not sure if this is from the lump (if she has bitten it- but I cannot find anywhere on it which has been weeping) or if it's her wee. Again she seems fine, however I'm worried now as I really don't want her to be in pain, do you think she needs to go and see a vet to be put down?
Tori
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Maud. Djungarian (dwarf) hamsters show a high prevalence of neoplastic (cancer) disease - five times greater than Syrian hamsters - and most tumors are integumental (e.g., mammary tumors as I expect this lump to be, atypical fibromas, and papillomas). I'm afraid that you'll have to made a difficult decision soon. It's reasonable to assume that such an invasive tumor is painful. The blood may well be due to ulceration of that tumor or be bleeding associated with metastasis of that tumor to internal organs.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.