Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog was vaccinated in France May 2014 year,

My dog was vaccinated for rabies in France May 2014 for 1 year, his microchip was faulty so he had to be re-chipped and re-vaccinated, then the French law changed to the vaccine lasting for 3 year, as it was less than 1 year from my dogs vaccination to the new rule in Dec 2014, does that mean that his vaccine will automatically be extended for 3 years to May 2017. His UK vaccine was valid till 2016. Should French Customs be aware of this and know that he is ok to travel from the date on his Passport.
I look forward to hearing from you
kindest regards
Jan
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

When you say "UK vaccine", do you mean the core/DHLPP one? Or another rabies?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure about the UK one which was valid till 2016 but the French one is something like Rabilan and that is the one that I am asking about. We have had to leave our dog in Calais as we were not aware that the French vaccine was only valid for 1 year and still thought his UK one was valid till 2016 but as I mentioned the French Law now says that the Vaccine is valid for 3 years and as we had him vaccinated in France less than one year to the Dec 2014 law change, would his May vaccine automatically be extended to 2017.

Thanks again.

Jan

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Jan,

I suspect your mean Rabisin as the rabies vaccine. If that is the case, this is a brand that does have a 3 year duration of effect. So, that is positive and in our favor (since some vaccines are only licensed for a year no matter the country law).

That said, since customs is not run by vets, this is not as straight forward as one would hope. Specifically, I would be concerned that the customs people would not look at his vaccine type, consider the change in law, and make that that connection. Instead, I suspect they would just read the current listed expiration date in the passport and judge Rio based off that.

Therefore, since that vaccination will cover for 3 years and France has changed their law, you have recourse to getting the passport amended by his vet. So, what you need to do is to speak to the vet that gave the vaccine, and have them amend the passport. If they do that, then he should have no issue. Otherwise, you would need to treat the May 2014 vaccine as a one-year vaccination (because that is what his passport paperwork lists it as) but then the next one would be considered a three year. So, it is a bit of red tape (and unfortunately we cannot assume customs will interpret everything logically) but we have an opportunity here, so long as the local vet that gave the vaccination amends and signs off his passport.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )