Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has beautiful soft shinny fur but quarter the way down

Customer Question

My cat has beautiful soft shinny fur but quarter the way down the spine to her tail it's dull and the skin is scaly and when I brush it it flakes like dandruff, could it be eczemma it's itchy for as well, if it is what can I use to ease the itch, I thought about sudocreme
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Whenever the saddle area - the area you described - is affected in cats, a flea saliva allergy should top our differential diagnosis list unless proven otherwise. Our dermatologists tell us to apply an effective over the counter flea spot-on such as Advantage or a fipronil-containing product such as Frontline or one of the newer prescription products available from Pepsi's vet even if fleas aren't seen. Cats can be such effective groomers so as to eliminate all evidence of flea infestation. Indoor cats can contract fleas because we walk them in on us and flea eggs and larva can remain viable in your home for months. As the weather warms at this time of year flea eggs hatch. In severe cases, an anti-allergenic prescription corticosteroid such as prednisolone will work wonders for cats allergic to the saliva of the flea. Please note that other pets of yours may carry fleas but not be allergic to the flea saliva and so not itch to the extent that Pepsi itches.
I don't recommend your applying Sudocreme. The lanolin in that product is nontoxic and soothing but the zinc oxide and benzoyl peroxide found in that product are potentially toxic to cats. An over the counter hydrocortisone cream is acceptable but unwieldy due to your needing so much it in order to cover all of the saddle area.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would stronghold do the job.
Stronghold (selamectin) is especially efficacious when administered every 2-4 weeks. I would combine the Stronghold with your treating your environment with an over the counter premise spray that contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) such as Siphotrol. Please see here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Siphotrol-Plus-II-Premise-Spray/dp/B000KVSTC0 IGRs such as the methoprene in Siphotrol don't allow flea eggs and larvae to develop into adult fleas.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will update you as and when.
I appreciate it!
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not see the update I sent you so I will repeat. Today I treated Pepsi I and my 3 other cats with Stronghold and right through my home with Indorex Spray which contains all the things you mentioned. I feel hopeful for Pepsi's recovery although it's too soon to tell yet. I will keep you informed how she is. Thank you again. Pam
Good work, Pam. Thanks for letting me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm delighted to tell you Pepsi has recovered completely, no more scabs or itch thank you very much.
Wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to let me know.
Please disregard the info request.