Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Can you help me I have a springer spaniel age 9 he has swallowed

Customer Question

Can you help me I have a springer spaniel age 9 he has swallowed a 500 mg paracetomol
What should I do
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Paracetomol and your dog. I'm so sorry he's done this, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
I've got some good news for you. One 500mg dose of Paracetomol for a medium sized dog is not likely to do any harm above and beyond causing an upset stomach. Yes, it is too large a dose for regular use, but this single dose may not cause any untoward effects whatsoever.
As long as your dog is otherwise in good health, I would not even advise inducing vomiting because it is not worth the risk.
Can you please tell me the following...
1. Is your dog otherwise in good health?
2. Does he take any other medications?
3. How long ago did this happen?
4. How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He took it approximately 15 mins ago . Yes he is in good health and seems very perky right now . Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
And his approximate weight?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the positive feedback but I would really like to check on your dog's weight before deciding for certain if this dose is not likely to cause him harm. Springers can vary quite a bit in their weight and I'd like to be extra sure.
Can you please tell me his weight?