Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Basically my cat has caught a bird.Injured its wing you can

Customer Question

Basically my cat has caught a bird.
Injured its wing you can see bone.
Put in in a ventilated shoe box
Heard that if it doesn't die of shock and/or pain it will die from septicaemia due to cats saliva
Wording if i could feed bird leftover (i know should have taken full course but found out i was allergic) penicillin
As most septic diseases are caused by gram positive bacteria so penicillin should work right ?
Could I do this until it reaches the vets ?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about this unfortunate bird. I'm so sorry you're in this situation, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
This is a difficult situation all around, and I'm reluctant to answer your question because I know I'll be providing information that's unpleasant to hear.
Please rest assured that I'm answering from the perspective of a 20+ year veterinarian who also happens to be a huge practitioner of both avian medicine and wildlife rehabilitation.
While I very much wish I had better news for you and I completely understand your hope and desire for this bird to be saved, I must advocate for the well-being and compassionate care of this bird. The very best thing for it would be to have it euthanized as soon as possible.
Please remember I am bird vet and wildlife vet as well as a regular vet. I hate to disappoint you when you've shown such incredible compassion and a desire to help. But the sad fact is that you heard correctly: even with treatment this bird is going to die from shock or septicemia. Penicillin is not going to save it. The bacteria in a cat's mouth are not at all likely to be susceptible to penicillin. Even with hospitalization, broad-spectrum IV antibiotics and surgery, this little bird's chances of survival are slim, and - more importantly - its chances for release are essentially none.
If you were my neighbor and called me to describe the situation, I would do the best I could for the bird, and that would be to put it down immediately so it wouldn't have to suffer anymore.
I'm so sorry, and I want to hug you for caring so much. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I feel compelled to be honest with you.