Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog 12, sometimes does not want eat, maybe 1 day every 2

Customer Question

My dog 12, sometimes does not want eat, maybe 1 day every 2 weeks, walks very slowly, in the period, normally very active for his age, seems depressed also at same period. He is a cross staff/bull terror. Regards Brian
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, Jasper's episodic symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. He may be an osteoarthritic geriatric who is experiencing flare ups of painful osteoarthritis. This might also cause lameness in addition to walking slowly and acting depressed. He may suffer from a chronic recrudescing (relapsing without cure in between events) disorder - too many to list in the venue.
In general, such nonspecific but recurring symptoms are a clue to become proactive and have Jasper's vet perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests - a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel - and a set of chest films which would constitute baseline information on such a patient. Treatment would then be predicated upon findings in Jasper's exam and testing.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Jasper, please?