DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

My pony has suspected laminitis.How should I treat it.She is

My pony has suspected laminitis.How should I treat it.She is 12hh and is prone to it. She escaped from her bare field and is now lame and has a thick crest
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I'm sorry to hear about your ponys troubles. Laminitis can be very challenging so please be prepared for that. The main therapies are pain medication, foot support and weight loss. Both Bute and Equioxx can work very well for pain..,you'll have to get one of these from a vet. Usually we start them at a higher dose and taper it down over a week to ten days. For foot support,make sure she is trimmed well. Short rounded toe and not too much heel. Sometimes having X-rays done can help guide the farrier. Make sure she is on soft deep or sandy bedding. Or try some support shoes or boots. Finally weight loss- this can be hard - limit the diet to poorer quality hay. No grain or treats and no pasture. Feed no more than1-2% of ger body weight in hay. When her feet are comfortable enough, encourage exercise. I hope this helps. It's not easy but will be best for her in the long run. Take care and good luck.