DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

My 4 year old horse was castrated 2years ago and is still showing

Customer Question

My 4 year old horse was castrated 2years ago and is still showing signs of being a stallion.He bites ,mounts any other horse around ,has practically a permanent erection.He had me off last week rearing because he was at a gate next to a mare.In A school on his own he is perfect and is a quick learner.I bought him for showing but now cannot take him anywhere because of his behaviour.He has a fantastic temperament,is loved cuddled and is so beautiful.The vet is going to test his testosterone level this week.What can I do?
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Im sorry to hear about your troubles. first off, its good you are getting his tesosterone checked. If threre is any testicular tissue left, this will tell you. If it comes back positive, then usually an ultrasound or exploratrory abdominal surgery is recommended to find the leftover hormonal testicular tissue and remove it.
Additionally, we sometimes put unruly stallions on the mare drug Regumate (altrenogest), it has a calming effect. I would also recommend treating him like a stallion if he is acting like one, plenty of stallions learn their manners and are able to show.
Lead him in a lip or nose chain if you need to so you can control him when he acts up. Immediately reprimand him when he gets an erection or acts studdy when it is inapprpriate. Dont let things escalate. You might want to work with a trainer or someone experienced with stallions. This will help his manners and behavior whether he has surgery for retained testicular tissue or not. I wish you the best. Let me know if you have further questions.