Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My springer spaniel has a foul smelling grunge coming from

My springer spaniel has a foul smelling grunge coming from both ears, she is still eating,drinking still likes a slow walk well she is fourteen years of age. She seems to cope with it well but she will not let anybody touch her ears as a bad experience at the vets when she was younger
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How long has this been going on?
2- Are you able to clean the ears?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has been going on for approx six weeks and have noticed growths in her ears and the inside of her ear near the ear canal is swollen
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jane Ann, it sounds like your dog has a bilateral ear infection. Ears infections in dogs tend to have a bacterial and yeast component. In addition, the inflammation (swelling) that occurs as a result of the infection. I really do understand she does not like going to the vet. But, she would really benefit from topical prescription medication from family vet that addresses all 3 (inflammation, yeast & bacteria). In the meantime, do not use oil in the ears. Instead clean the ears with a mixture of 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 3/4 cup of warm water and cotton. Clean the ears twice a day with this mixture of water with vinegar until she is seen by family vet.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter