Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has been taking Loxicom past 2 years (30ml dose)

My dog has been taking Loxicom for the past 2 years (30ml dose) and I have been informed that my repeat prescription for my dog cannot be given until my dog comes in for a consultation. In November 2014 I paid for a full blood test for my dog as I wanted to make sure everything was ok and no damage was being done to her liver, kidneys etc and fortunately this all came back fine. I've taken my dog for the consultation this morning and all the vet did was weigh her and ask me how she was doing and said how well she looks - surely they could have asked me this on the telephone. When I questioned this the vet said it was a legal requirement that they had to see a pet every 6 months before the medication could be given. I have been with this practice for 9 years and this has never happened before. My dog attends her annual check up every year and she is up to date with her vaccinations and to be told this will now be every 6 months just seems ridiculous and if I don't do as they ask they said my dog cannot have the Loxicom.
I would be so grateful for any advice you can give me please.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, the dispensing of repeat prescription medications requires the vet to check the animal over to confirm that it is healthy and that it is safe for the medication to be continued. With this, the animal is under the vet's care and by giving this medication they are legally responsible for having ok'd this particular animal to take the medication at that particular time. Therefore, since the vet cannot see nor examine your dog over the phone, a call would not have been an acceptable alternative to meet this legal requirement of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (the board that provides a vet's license). And had they done so and your dog had had a problem, then they would be held accountable (which could lead to suspension or revoking of their license if they did just hand this medication out inappropriately).

Just so you are aware of what is driving your vet's request to see her every 6 months, the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) guidelines state : " a veterinary surgeon may only prescribe a medicine of the category "Prescription Only Medicine, Veterinarian, [POM-V]" after a clinical assessment of the animal". So, this is a legal requirement when prescribing prescription-only medicines, as they are taking responsibility for that treatment and the effects if may or may not have on your lass. In regards ***** ***** this does depend on the practice's policy (which may have recently changed,), on the individual vet, or if there is concern about her continued use/ageing/health. But generally speaking this can be every 3-12 months depending on all these factors.

Therefore, while I know you have not been told that every 6 months is required before, it is not an unreasonable requirement by the practice and is a common frequency required by most practices. Still, if she is seen annually for her vaccine (which could be one of those twice yearly visits), then do have a word with the head vet of the practice. They will have the final say in this situation, and they may be able to extend that revisit frequency to annually if they feel it is appropriate in this case (based on her age, history, their practice policies which would be established by them). Otherwise, to offset costs if they do demand an every 6 months visit, you could potentially request a prescription from them between those visits to purchase the Loxicom from an internet pharmacy (as these companies do tend to be able to offer these medications for less then a small practice can).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )