Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My Toy poodle has just had all her teeth taken out. The vet

Customer Question

My Toy poodle has just had all her teeth taken out. The vet told my while extracting a bottom incisor she fears her jaw may have broken as she could feel some grating. I have been told it will heal again however no xrays were taken so I am worried about it as his can she tell me it will heal by itself when she doesn't know firstly if its broken and secondly how badly it is broken without an xray!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago was the dental?

How is your lass? Any issues eating?
Any mouth pain?
Any crunching or grinding when she eats or you feel her jaw?

Does her jaw feel stable when you handle it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She had her dental today so hasn't eaten yet she is 8years old, do you think she should have had an xray?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Now an xray would be best practice, since it would let us know if there was a fracture, and what type it was. Now this is not an uncommon issue in small breed (especially elderly) dogs, since they can be prone to rotten teeth fusing into the jaw bone or tooth infections eating away at the jaw bone. Therefore, in situations like this, we do usually phone the owner, let them know what our suspicions are, and give them the choice of whether to have an xray done.

That said, it is not always an absolute necessity to xray. The need to do so will depend on what the vet can feel relative to the jaw. If she thought there was a full thicknes fracture that wasn't laying in line or could be moved back and forth and thus needed to be repaired; then an xray would be advisable. If the was just a grinding noise but the jaw was stable when the palpated it, then montioring is not unreasonable. Because if there is just a hairline fracture (or if the grind was actually just from removing the tooth), even if we do xray to confirm, it won't change our treatment approach (pain relief, soft food, and no chews/balls for 4-6 weeks).

So, in this case, I agree that an xray would always be ideal. Still, if her jaw is stable it may not be an absolute requirement. Therefore, if this just happened today, I would advise you to closely monitor her for the next 24-48 hours. We want to make sure she has pain relief over the next few weeks, that we offer soft foods, and again no chews/pull toys/etc. If she has no issue, then its likely there was no major damage. But any struggle and you can request they do xray to assess the state of the jaw so we know what is there and what (if anything) needs to be done to ensure it heals properly.

Please take care,
Dr. B.