Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 8-year old female neutered german shepherd dog has

Customer Question

hello. my 8-year old female neutered german shepherd dog has developed a number of lumps around her neck. they are large, dark and are filled with blood,easy to burst, no smell, and appear to be quite sore. what do you recommend will help?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- How long has this been going on?2- Is she scratching them?3- How big are the lumps?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1.about two or three days. we took her collar off, and they were underneath. 2.she doesn't seem to feel them at all. 3.the size of the tip of your finger.some are buried in the skin, with half of the lump protruding, others are prominent enough to get your fingers around them. they burst easily, and are full of watery blood?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, what you are describing is consistent with inflammation/infection of the skin. This is what you can do:
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Keep the collar off. If possible I would have your groomer trim the hair in this area. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap. 3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. 4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days I would have your family veterinarian take a look at this area; she may need oral antibiotics. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your time. we are retired, and have poor health. we cannot visit the family vet unless it is absolutely necessary, due to financial restrictions, so your advice is gratefully accepted. our dogs mean the world to us. thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Oh, I am glad I was here to help. Please follow this thread if you have additional questions. I will be glad to answer them. Have a great and blessed day!! You're welcome. Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
.