Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Our 10 year old blck lab recently went through an op to remove

Customer Question

Our 10 year old blck lab recently went through an op to remove a bleeding tumour from the edge of his liver. It had not effected his liver function, but 2 small lumps were observed in the liver. He recovered well for about 10 days then went of his food and is again lacklustre and has lost weight. The vet gave him an appetite enhancer but it didn't work. They seem to be at a loss. It seems too soon to be the tumours, though inevitably they will get him in the end. What tests should we ask for and what should we try?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If the biopsy of the mass that was removed was a malignant tumor, then there is little that can be done now except for a consult with an Oncologist. Your sweet Balou can be given chemotherapy depending on what type of tumor this is. Your vet can refer you to the nearest specialist that can help give sweet Balou more quality time.

In the meantime, supportive care is essential which means force feeding and giving Nutrical, available at the pet store and Pedialyte every 4-6 hrs to keep Balou hydrated to help fight this off.

I know you love your guy very much and there are ways to help Balou have a good quality of life even though it may be shorter.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chemo is not possible nor disrable - we do not want to prolong his life for our sakes if he suffers in the meantime.

We know that the cancer will get him in the end but his prognosis after the op gave him anywhere between 3 and 9 months as his organs are all functioning well. The tumours cannot have progressed so far i just a couple of weeks surely? Besides his symptoms are not like when he had to have the emergency op - he is bright and wagging his tail and even fetching sticks (only a few yards of course) but terribly thin because he has no appetite. I had hoped you would have a suggestion about a seperate condition or one perhaps caused by the operation. The vet told us to expect him to show the same symptoms as before hwen he does decline, but these are not.

HI Simon. The surgery will certainly cause Balou a great deal of discomfort during the healing process and the older dogs do not handle this as well as when they are younger. The tumors could have progressed very qucily and I would be sure to repeat the Ultrasound weekly to know. Sometimes, when we disturb these tumors such as this surgery, they can start growing quickly.

The best thing, Simon, is to provide supportive care such as Nutrical, a dose every 4 hrs which is available at the pet store or your vet and force feed him liquified canned dog food as well as Pedialyte given every 4-6 hrs. The Nutrical acts as an appetite stimulant and also will give Balou the nutrients and vitamins that he needs to fight this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We also have a young dog in season that has been with him at home with house-sitters while we were away on holiday. Though he is not in the mood for anything active he is a bit interested - do you think this could be contributing? Previously we have noticed our dogs go off their food when one of the bitches is in season.We are now keeping them apart.

THat certainly could be a cause for this , Simon....the heat cycle or just keeping them apart could cause some stress causing this anorexia...with Balou's history, I would still worry that this is related to his condition....

Provide the supportive care, Simon, and hopefully, this will help this resolve.
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Thank you so much, Simon, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Balou feels better and will eat very soon!