Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog was grabbed by a bigger dog, luckily it grabbed her

my dog was grabbed by a bigger dog, luckily it grabbed her harness not her flesh, it shook her about, and threw her over the road, she was terrified, but eventually walked the short walk home, she was checked over and only yelps when her lower rib area is touched on one side. She doesnt want to be touched or fussed, and put herself to bed. She drank last night and ate a bit of roast beef. She just sleeps but when she rolled onto her side she yelped and cried. I want to give her soem time to rest and recover, but want to give her something for the pain, can I give her baby neurofen or calpol just a lick for now? I dont want to distress her by moving her and gettingher into a car or vetsuntil I know she has had a chance to rest and get better, she is very scared of anyone coming near her other than letting me stroke her head.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am so sorry to hear that your lass has been attacked. From that attack and being thrown, she will certainly be sore, bruised, and tender. And that is why she isn't keen to be touched and cries when she moves onto a sore spot. Now in this situation, I have to warn you that there really are no OTC human pain relief options we can really use here. None work well for dogs and drugs with Ibuprofen in them (like nurofen) will cause her much more harm then good. Especially since it can cause stomach ulcers (even perforate the stomach), stomach bleeds, and kidney damage. As well, even Aspirin (which we do use on occasion) is high dangerous here. For it, this is because it is also a blood thinner and if she has any internal bleeding, this could put her into dire straights.

In this case, I understand your reluctance to move her. That said, the pain will only get worse with time, not better if left. Therefore, the discomfort she may have if you were to lift her in her dog bed into the car is likely lesser then the chronic pain she is going to be in otherwise. Still, if you are worried about moving her and since the home options are either poor or dangerous to her, I would strongly advise ringing her vet for a home visit now. Vets in our country do offer home visits when animals are in situations where they cannot be moved. Therefore, you can ring them and ask for this. They can then come out to her, administer strong and safe pain relief by injection for quick action, and then examine her to make sure this dog hasn't caused any life threatening damage to her.

And since it is daytime and all vets are open, I would advise that you can find the vets local to you by using the RCVS Register (HERE). That way if you have any issue getting a home visit at your vets, there are other options to ensure we can safely get her some help and get her comfortable urgently.

Please take care,

Dr. B.