Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has runny eyes few weeks now and it end up as

Customer Question

My cat has runny eyes for a few weeks now and it end up as little black hard pieces which I wipe away with tissues and warm water . What can I do about it . Regard pauline
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Pauline, the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious agents that causes conjunctivitis and discharge from the eyes of our cats. This virus doesn't respond to common antibiotics but the infection is expected to remiss unaided within a few weeks.
The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be contributory, however, and these bacteria will respond to a tetracycline-containing ointment. If you're not seeing a remission in Rusty after a few weeks, it would be reasonable to see how such an ointment affects him. Terramycin ophthalmic ointment contains oxytetracycline and is available over the counter in the USA. I don't know if that's the case in the UK, however. You may have to have it prescribed by your vet. A chloramphenicol-containing ointment is also appropriate. I recommend letting your fingers do the walking and calling local pet stores/agricultural merchants to see if either antibiotic-containing ointment is available over the counter without your having to bring Rusty in to see his vet. Therapy involves instilling 1/2 centimeter of either of these ointments thrice daily into Rusty's eyes for a minimum of 10 consecutive days.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks for that I will try at chemist
Sounds good. I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
May I have an update on Rusty, please?