Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I wanted to ask about routine worming regime dog

Hi. I wanted to ask about routine worming regime for my dog please. He has monthly Advocate spot-on, and my vets had recommended an additional 6 monthly routine wormer for tapeworm. He previously had 6 monthly Drontal (which made him sick after) and then was given Milbemax instead, which also made him sick after it.
I was then given Panacur sachet 6 monthly instead, which he has been fine with, but I've just been told that Panacur does not work against common tapeworm.
Do i really need an additional wormer, in addition to the monthly Advocate spot-on?
I haven't seen any tapeworm, nor fleas.. Any idea what I should do please?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now in situations like this, we do have to consider risk and benefits of treating. Unfortunately, while Advocate does cover a wide range of creepy crawlies, it doesn't cover tapeworms. That said, when adults dogs have a significant level of tapeworms (which they do get from eating infected fleas, which your Advocate will be addressing and reducing the risk of), we do tend to get a hint of their presence. Specifically, we will see these infected dogs pass rice like tapeworm segments. Therefore, if the oral tapeworm treatments are making him ill, then we have 2 options. First, you may want to consider a spot on based one (even the OTC wormers are not too bad for tapeworms). Otherwise, you can choose not to just preventative treat but monitor his stools and decide to push treatment as needed should you see those telltale "rice" segments in his stool.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr B. Yes, I think I will probably just monitor his stool and do something about it if any rice like segments appear!

I like the sound of the spot on tapewormer - is there one available here in the UK do you know?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,

I do think that is a reasonable approach for your lad.
In regards ***** ***** on tapeworm wormers in the UK, it looks like the main one is profender. It is actually licensed for cats but can be used off license for small dogs. So, that may be an option here. Otherwise, we may need to modify our approach to the injectable treatments. In that regard, Droncit or Ivermectin would be additional options that could be of use in his situation.

All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's really helpful, thank you for the info. Smile

One more thing to ask please - Is tapeworm dangerous ? (I.e If I did notice any signs in the stool , would i need to get it treated urgently ?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.

They are not dangerous and rarely cause any severe issue for adult dogs. The only time we are wary of them is when we see dogs losing weight. So, it'd not be an emergency even if we did see any segments in the stool, just a sign that we'd need to worm him when we can.

Take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks ever so much Dr B. :)

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.

Take care,
Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)