Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog - pomeranian just ate 2 small grapes - i've read it

Customer Question

My dog - pomeranian just ate 2 small grapes - i've read it can be fatal??
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat these?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

about 15 minutes ago

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Now if it has just been 15 minutes, then we need to be proactive here. Grapes are dangerous for dogs, as they can cause kidney damage and failure. And as the actual toxin has not been isolated and appears to vary between grapes, we cannot predict if these 2 will cause him harm or not.

Therefore, we do want to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get him to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing the ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of his stomach and avoid any adverse issues

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much he absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, since this toxin does target the kidneys, we will need to monitor his thirst and urination. If these increase over the next week, then we'd be concerned there has been damage. Therefore, with that being a risk, you may even want to consider having him into his vet's for IV fluids to flush this out just now +/- monitoring his blood or urine to make sure there is no hint of kidney damage.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet.To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local vets or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends

Overall, while grapes are safe for us, they are very dangerous for our dogs. So, if he just had these a few minute ago, then we want to induce vomiting urgently +/- follow up with activated charcoal +/- IV fluids to limit any risk for him here.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )