Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My west island white (7 years old) has dropped dead today after

Customer Question

My west island white (7 years old) has dropped dead today after coming back from the vets yesterday. The vet said it was an abscess deep in the ear , she then burst the abscess with a pair of tweezers with cotton wool attached. This morning he was dead , I don't understand how an ear abscess can kill a very fit westie ? Please could you help
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about you dog. A very strange situation. The explanation I am come up with is that the abscess metastasized or spread to some location within the body that was vital like the liver, brain, heart or lung. Abscesses are the only benign condition that can spread to other parts of the body. It is possible the rupturing of the abscess allowed it to move elsewhere. However, it does not necessitate rupturing to spread. Another explanation could be shock from the abscess being ruptured. Acute exposure of large amounts of bacteria to the body could cause an allergic reaction that could lead to shock a severe drop in blood pressure and anaphylaxis which is a whole body allergic reaction