Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is a bison X foxterrier and is a lovely boy but when

Customer Question

My dog is a bison X foxterrier and is a lovely boy but when excited squeals how can I stop him as it annoys the neighbours
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and would like to help you and Teddy today.Teddy's squealing most likely gets your attention and this reinforces this behavior. Even negative attention (discipline) can reinforce this behavior.
Just like any unwanted behavior, it will take time to resolve. The best way to handle this problem, is to substitute the excited squealing with another learned behavior like giving him the command of "sit" at the time. Speak calmly and just loud enough for Teddy to hear you. Does he already sit when commanded?
What are the things for Teddy that cause his excitement and squealing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cats
Hi Laura,
Cats, because they run, are so enticing to most dogs! But all don't squeal. Can you tell me a little more about the situation that causes Teddy to have contact with and/or see these cats? Does this happen with you when you walk him, or is this a problem with neighbors' cats that are in your yard or seen by Teddy while he is in your yard?
Do you have cats?