Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Can you tell me if vitofyllin 100mg is used to treat bronchitis

can you tell me if vitofyllin 100mg is used to treat bronchitis in dogs because that is what my vet gave me but he has been on them for a month and they seem to be doing nothing for him .
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Well, this medication does have bronchodilator effects, similar to a drug called aminophylline. However! Bronchitis is a tough diagnosis and often not correct. There can be other issues like asthma or pneumonia that are overlooked. But, let's say it is just bronchitis. Well, that's an "inflammatory" condition. often, allergic in nature. So, would a bronchodilator by itself show much improvement? Probably not.A pet with "bronchitis" like should be on some type of steroid for the best improvement. Even better, they could get an inhaled therapy, similar to pets with asthma. So, the drug choice was not wrong, but if not doing anything at all after this length of time, its time to get a second opinion on the bronchitis, new x-rays (if any were taken) and get new drugs. Good Luck!Dr. Andy