Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Lhasa apso was mated on 23 april 15 and still not had her

Customer Question

my Lhasa apso was mated on 23 april 15 and still not had her pups Im worried something is wrong,but she is eating and doesn't seem stressed in any way hope you can help me thanks
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and would like to be of help to you and Rosie this evening.The length of gestation for dogs is approximately 63 days, so she is only 2 days beyond this time. If Rosie isn't in labor yet, then she is fine and I wouldn't worry.If Rosie starts her labor and no puppies are produced for over 30 minutes, then you need to seek veterinary care ASAP. Do you know that Rosie is definitely pregnant and not just having a false pregnancy (has she been checked by her vet?Have you been taking Rosie's rectal temperature? Within 24 hours of partuition female dogs' rectal temperature will drop below 99 degrees.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

rosie has loads of movement and is defo having pups no I havnt been taking her temp as iam not sure how to check so you think she will be ok

Thanks for your reply! As long as she is acting normally in every other way, then so far, so good. When she has labor contractions you'll know when they are strong enough to deliver puppies. Then, if no pups are born after 30 minutes of these contractions, Rosie will need immediate care. Most dogs do fine.Even tho' Rosie was mated on April 23rd, she may have actually conceived 2 days later. Also, if Rosie mated every day or every other day during her window of ovulation, then her actual conception could have been even later than 23 April.Did Rosie mate several time during her estrus? Has Rosie ever had pups before?