Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 22kg staffordshire cross , who has arthritis

I have a 22kg staffordshire cross bitch, who has arthritis in one of her back legs. I was wondering if i could give her: Glucosamine Chondroitin complex (no msm included) the dosage is: Glucosamine 400mg (provided by Glucosamine sulphate 2KCI 750mg, Chrondroitin sulphate 60mg, citrus bioflavonoid complex 22mg, manganese 0.5mg.
Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
In regards ***** ***** question, you absolutely can. Glucosamine/chondroitin are often beneficial to our dogs by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals with mild signs, but it might be enough to take some of the discomfort away and help her to comfortably move again. For a 22kg dog, we can give 1452mg glucosamine + 242 mg chondroitin a day.
Further to this, you can also consider treating her with fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA). These too can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties and can reduce joint discomfort too. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a rate of 44mg per kg of their body weight. So, this too would be a consider here for your lass.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much Dr B! i will get her some omega 3 at the dose you stated too. is there anything else i can give her? she's always had problems with her back legs from when she was a pup (she used to belong to my sister so i'm not sure of any previous diagnosis, although i do know she doesn't have hip problems).

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Lena.
Those tend to be the 3 we quite like to use in dogs and have found of benefit. Otherwise, if very severely affected, there are injectable treatments like Cartropen or dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, Previcox) that your vet can dispense if she is really struggling.
All the best to you both,
Dr B.