Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My guinea pig has had a growth on her neck four

Customer Question

My guinea pig has had a growth on her neck for about four weeks. When she first got it, I took her to the vet who tested it and said it was benign and recommended leaving it if it didn't seem to bother her. It grew to about the size of a kiwi but tonight it exploded with smelly pus. I have given her a bath with the same small pet shampoo that I normally use. I will phone the vet first thing tomorrow but is there anything I can do in the meantime to make sure she is OK? This all happened about 2.5 hours ago, she seems fine now. I am not sure if there is a hole left in her neck or not.

Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help you and your little gp. She had an abscess and this is a good thing for a lump to be. I imagine that she does feel much better now that it is draining.For tonight I would clean it the best you can with a warm moist cloth and then apply hydrogen peroxide on any open areas (or just by a hole in her skin). Please don't instill any of the hydrogen peroxide as it will be tremendously uncomfortable.I imagine that oral antibiotics will be necessary, so she and you should see your vet again tomorrow to have the abscess evaluated and likely get some antibiotics to give her.Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. . .Dr. Barbara