Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My african grey has suddedly stopped eating and talking and

Customer Question

my african grey has suddedly stopped eating and talking and sitting on his perch with his eyes closed
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Once a bird appears ill, they're quite ill. This is a protective mechanism because an ill-appearing bird is attacked by other birds in the wild. Alfie's symptoms are important but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Unfortunately, the symptoms you've mentioned can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests and physical exams to differentiate one from the other. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in differentiating the various causes of what you're seeing. Veterinarians can perform a physical exam and run diagnostic tests, including X-rays, to distinguish between the various etiologies. I regret that I can't be more specific for you from here. I, too, would need to perform a thorough physical exam on Alfie including diagnostics in the form of blood work and possibly cultures of his coana (the slit between his oral cavity and nose) and cloaca (his "bum"). Can you tell me, please, what Alfie's diet has consisted of? Have you noticed any other symptoms such as regurgitation/vomiting, increased respiratory rate, sneezing/coughing/nasal discharge, or diarrhea? Until he can be attended to, he needs to be kept in a 26.7C environment which can be obtained by shining a 100W bulb into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to sleep) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting around the sides of his cage. His perches should be removed and his food and water placed on the bottom of the cage along with him. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.