Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My friend has a large dog approx. 5yrs old part Akita, for

Customer Question

My friend has a large dog approx. 5yrs old part Akita, for the last few weeks he has been off his food. she has been to a vet who put him on antibiotics but they have now finished and the dog is no better. He is bleeding when he poo's and has diarrhea and has now lost 2kgs in weight. They took him back to the vet last night who has taken bloods as he does not know what is wrong. The dog lives outside and I have been told that sometimes birds eat his food, could this be anything to do with his problems?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you know if the bloods were normal?

Did they do a fecal test?

Has he had any vomiting, retching, gagging, lip licking, or excessive grass eating?

Does your friend think the birds could have dropped feces into his food dish?

How much blood is he passing? A spoonful, more, less?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am asking my friend now, she is in Dublin so she will try to get back as soon as possible.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Andrea,

That is fine, I will keep my eyes peeled for her replies.
While you are speaking to her, can you also check what antibiotic they used and if there was any other treatment given?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is the reply from my friend.

I don’t know what one it was it was a 7 day course 2 tabs a day and he was treating him for a tummy bug. No other treatment, we didn’t feed him for the first 3 days of the antibiotic and even after that he wasn’t interested in food.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Andrea,

Did they say how much blood they say? Anything about bird feces or the blood results?