Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog has a swollen paw and an open sore underneath it

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This sore could be due to trauma from hard ground that is causing the swelling. If this is the case, apply cold compresses to the swelling and apply Neosporin or another antiniotic creme over the sore and wrap this with guaze and tape to help the healing. You can also give Jake aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to hep with the pain and inflammation.

Because of Jakes advanced age, this sore could be a benign ulcerated tumor and if this is the case, it is best for your vet to examine this and possibly remove this if possible. If it is a benign tumor, once it ulcerates and bleeds, they will not resolve.

Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****