Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My Cocker has recently had a white discharge from both her

Customer Question

My Cocker has recently had a white discharge from both her eyes, more in the mornings, they do not seem to irritate her and we have been carefully been removing it with a soft cloth and a very weak salt and boiled but cooled water solution. We have always kept a check on her eyes as we are aware the it is a common problem with the breed, also we have her clipped regularly so that her ears do not become too heavy preventing the 'droopy eye' look.
I would appreciate and advice
Many thanks *****
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Douglas. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is the discharge thick? 2- Any nasal discharge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it is quite thick but no there is no nasal discharge

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type a response for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the discharge you are is mucus. A very common condition that causes an increase production in mucus in the eyes is "dry eyes (keratoconjunctivitis sicca)"; this is when the eyes stops producing the watery component of tears and as a result increases the production of mucus to maintain the eyes lubricated.To confirm that she does have dry eyes she would need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a tear test (shimer's test); this test is done within minutes and fairly inexpensive. If she does have dry eye she will need to be placed on medication. Dry eye can be uncomfortable and untreated can lead to ulcers of the cornea (first layer of the eye). In the meantime, this is what you can do:1- Pick up in your local pharmacy eye wash and irrigate eyes; clean with a moist gauze. 2- After flushing and cleaning apply over the counter tear supplements. 3- Do the above 3-6 times a day. 4- As long as you keep the eye lubricated as above you will not see mucus. 5- The day she is to see your family veterinarian do Not flush or clean the eyes. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter