Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I'm have got myself into a terible state worrying about

Customer Question

I'm have got myself into a terible state worrying about Toxocariasis. I have a little dog who wonders out and about on the farm, The farm dogs are wormed but I am so worried that he may pick up the roundworm larva from foxes/cats faeces and bring them bag in the house. He sleeps on our bed and lies on the sofa or someone's lap.Also travels in car. I have read so much on the internet and my anxiety level is so great.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I understand your concern about this parasite. It's considered the number one public health concern in the States. The standard of care is to presumptively worm Mosty monthly with an over the counter wormer containing either pyrantel pamoate or fenbendazole. Please avoid the poorly effective piperazine. These wormers are readily available in pet stores or at agricultural merchants. They're well-tolerated and with regular use can keep Mosty 100% worm free.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not concerned about Mosty because he is wormed monthly. My worry is that the roundworm is in the enviroment so he could have the larva on his feet or coat and could infect my family. Is this being rational?

That's not a likely event. You would need to ingest roundworm eggs and that's mainly seen in dirt-eating children. Simple sanitary measures should assuage your fears in that regard.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This worrying all started when my indoor/outdoor cat vomited what looked like a roundworm despite regular worming. I treated cat and because he poos out in garden I was convinced that he would infect us all after being in the garden and then coming back in house. I even thought of taking the cat to the cat protection people.

I understand. We expect that about 50% of our domestic pets harbor roundworms at one time or another; hence, the need to prophylactically worm on a regular schedule.