Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

How much rectal diazepam would need to be administered to a

How much rectal diazepam would need to be administered to a 35kg greyhound who is in status epilepticus and who is on 45mg Pheno 2 x daily.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now usually vets do send seizing dogs home with rectal diazepam tubes designed for their size. That way owners can quickly give a whole or half tube during a seizure. Still, in regards ***** ***** question, when dosing dogs there is a wide dosing range with this drug. Generally speaking, our safe dosing range for a 35kg dog between 17.5- 70mg with each dose to halt a seizure. So, we'd usually use the bottom of this range but have wiggle room if they do not respond and we have to give more.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm very concerned, because 70mg (1mg per kg weight, adjusted x 2 for Pheno use) is the answer I keep finding in online resources, including Merck.

However, I have only been given 10mg in 2.5ml solution.

I called my vet, he conferred with a colleague and they are both adamant that 10mg would be sufficient to break "status" and to give any more would be dangerous.

I'm left panicking that if the worst did happen I am woefully under-equipped to help my girl.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Lou,

As I noted, there is a dosing range with this drug. The 70mg is the max he can have. I can tell you that when I am treating seizures in my patients, I do find that the 0.5mg/kg (or 17.5mg I noted above for his weight) is ample to stop seizures for dogs of this size. I appreciate that your vet feels that the 10mg is enough, but that is lower then our therapeutic range and therefore we won't know how effective that would be until she had a fit and we treated with that. So, you can go with that standard dose they have advised or speak to the vet about the dosing range (or use 2x10mg tubes should she have a fit). But again if she were my patient, I'd be leaning towards 2 of the tubes for treating a fit should it arise.

All the best,

Dr. B.