DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

I have a horse just developed a suspensory! Will he race a

Customer Question

I have a horse just developed a suspensory! Will he race again?
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, thanks for the question. Let me see if i can help. I'm sorry you had to wait awhile for a response. I worked in the racetrack industry for the a long time....and I can tell you that horses can recover from a lot if you put in the work and the time. But it does depend a bit on the extent of the injury. If it is a suspensory core lesion or significant tear, then the prognosis is much worse than if it is a suspensory desmitis or high suspensory strain. Things that can help with recovery include: enforced rest followed by a careful rehab program including water treadmill time if available, shockwave therapy, injection with PRP or stem cells if it is an appropriate lesion for this therapy. Speak with your veterinarian to determine what is appropriate in this case and discuss costs if that is a concern for you. And again depending on the severity of the lesion be prepared for 6-9 months of recovery time. I hope this helps. Best of luck.